- Restaurant senior discounts – Promotions for retirees at restaurants might only come on certain days of the week in certain places. According to Julie Ramhold, a consumer analyst at DealNews, even if some restaurants have senior menus or not, you can still receive something, such as a discount that goes up to 15% off when you dine in and show proof of age. Look for these restaurant senior discounts: Denny’s 55-plus menu, which gives discounted prices only for seniors, McDonald’s, IHOP’s 55-plus menu, and The Rainforest Café which gives 10% off to AARP cardholders.
- Retail senior discounts – Some retailers will provide a discount only for seniors on a specific day, such as Wednesday or the first Tuesday of the month. It is recommended to plan ahead before going, according to Lindsay Weekes, the deputy editor at Brad’s Deals. Watch out for these retail senior discounts: Amazon Prime, Kohl’s, Michaels, and Ross Stores.
- Grocery store senior discounts – Although supermarket deals for seniors are extremely varied, they also apply on certain dates. Check with your local branch, in order to learn about the specific senior discounts in the area you’re living in. Also, look for these grocery stores senior discounts: BI-LO – offers 5% off on Wednesdays for seniors that are over 60 and have a senior bonus card; Fred Meyer – includes 10% off on specific items on the first Tuesday of every month for those who are 55+; New Seasons – offers seniors who are 65 and older a 10% off discount on Wednesdays; and Hy-Vee – offers seniors who are 55 and older a 10% off on Wednesdays.
- Hotel senior discounts – There are some hotel chains that offer discounted rates for the elderly, and all you have to do is look for them! You can either book directly on the hotel’s website to receive a specific rate or book specifically through something like an AARP page for a specific hotel.
- Car rental senior discounts – If you’re a senior, you can get some discounted rates when renting a car. Look for the following car rental deals for seniors: Avis, where AARP Members can save up to 30% off; Budget, where you can get 30% off at participating locations for AARP members; and Sixt, which provides a 5% discount for seniors who are 50 and older.
- Airline senior discounts – Before you decide on purchasing a ticket, check with the airlines to see if there are any senior deals. You might find something at British Airlines, JetBlue, and United Airlines.
The best credit cards for tax payments The Business Platinum Card® from Amex The Blue Business®